MUM's dishes is always my favourites. I guess everyone will agreed with me because your mum's dishes is always YOUR favourites. Right!.......^^
It is HAKKA STEAMED PORK BELLY WITH YAM ~ (芋头扣肉)
This is a sweet tasted dish, it is pork belly and yam as the main ingredients. The sauce is simple and you can even do extra for later use. The pork belly is so tender after hours of steaming especailly the skin it is so smooth and the texture is so smooth and jelly like when you give it a bite. I still remember when we were little, my mum use to make this dish on special occasion. It will be a very big portion for the whole family.
Because I like this dish very much so I learn to DIY it, I asked the recipe from mum but mum did not have a proper measurement recipe. Thanks to YUM YUM MAGAZINE Vol.26 (this recipe is from chef 郭子仁) I found this recipe and it is so similar to my mum's. I did add a little ingredients and method of my mum though...^^
Hakka Steamed Pork Belly with Yam
1 kg pork belly
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp five spice powder
2 tbsp chopped shallots
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 pc fermented bean curd(nam yee)
50g rock sugar
3 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2/3 tsp five spice powder
1) Divide pork belly into 2 thick slices and mix with marinade ingredients.
Pre-boil the pork belly for 5~8 minutes with skin facing down. After that dish up and drain.
2) Use some satay sticks to prick some holes on the skin. Deep-fry in hot oil until the
skin is golden brown. Dish up and cut into 1.5cm thick slices.
3) Cut the yam into 1cm thick slices and deep-fry in hot oil until it is golden brown.
Dish up and drain.
4) Arrange a slice of pork belly with a slice of yam and another slice of pork belly
with a slice of yam until all a use up. Pour gravy over the arranged pork belly.
5) Steam pork belly and yam for 2-3 hours until it is tender. Serve.