This is another very yummy buns. The Chocolate Streusel Buns, it is also called Chocolate Polo Buns...'Polo' mean pineapple in cantonese. In Asia the buns is very popular, it is named polo because of the pattern on the streusel looks like the pattern of pineapple skin. It is a soft bun with sweet streusel topping that adds a sweet crunch and lovely flavor of butter or chocolate or green tea (please see here) or any other flavor to your liking.
HOT, hOt, hoT, from the oven...Crunchy chocolate top on soft and fluffy bun.
Chocolate polo buns ..巧克力菠萝
I double up this recipe. I get 8 chocolate polo buns, 2 seashell chocolate polo buns, 1 chocolate polo loaf and a plain loaf. We finished all of it in 3 days...(2 adults and 3 children) Hubby, my eldest and i each had one just after the buns are out from the oven.
Seashell chocolate polo．．贝壳巧克力菠萝
Oops!! I kind of over bake the topping a little but it is still nice and crunchy.
1) Streusel/polo topping is a bit too soft to handle.
Cover it up in a cling foil and put in fridge for 30 minutes.
2) Take out from the fridge and scoop with a spoon into 25g each. Roll round (do this quick as the topping soften easily) After rolled arranged into a plate and put into fridge for later use.
3) Rolled the round topping between two sheets of plastic sheets.
4) Loosen out both plastic sheets from the flatten topping. Keep the bottom plastic sheet on. Lift up the plastic sheets with the flatten topping on and slowly paste on the shaped bun.
5) Run your finger along the bottom of the plastic sheet to loosen the flatten topping onto the
6) Slowly peel off the plastic sheet.
7) Nice and neat streusel top.
8) Use a plastic knife to press lines onto the topping.
(Repeat the same to the rest of the buns. If the topping becomes soften just put it back into
the fridge for a few minutes )
9) All are done!! Proof for 45 minutes.
10) Two other loaves. 1 plain loaf and 1 chocolate polo loaf. (the topping of this chocolate polo loaf is smooth)
11) After proofing for 45 minutes the chocolate polo topping crack nice and beautifully.
12) This is the baked chocolate polo loaf.
Soft and fluffy slices..: )
Chocolate Polo Buns
recipe source: A taiwan YTower Publishing book in Chinese
Book title in chinese '一种面团做60种排队面包 by 陈明里
Ingredients for basic buns dough:
323 gm bread flour
58 gm castor sugar
6 gm milk powder
5 gm salt
6 gm instant yeast
168 gm water
26 gm egg
32 gm butter
1) Mixed A to combine well.
2) Add in B and mixed into a rough dough.
3) Knead again until it is smooth and elastic.
4) Add in butter continue knead until it is well combine, smooth, elastic and check if it pass the windowpane test.
(i did not follow the above step. I just added all my ingredients B, A and C into bread maker pan
and let the bread maker do the rest)
Rolled the dough round, cover with cling wrap or damp cloth and proof for 90 minutes. (i proof mine for 45 minutes only)
5) While waiting for the dough to have the first proofing. Prepare the polo topping.
Chocolate Polo topping:
113 gm bread flour
68 gm castor sugar
83 gm pastry margarine (I used unsalted butter)
41 gm egg
13 gm cocoa powder (i used unsweetend chocolate powder)
- Sift cocoa powder (chocolate powder) with bread flour.
- Blend butter, sugar and egg with a mixer on medium speed until slightly fluffy.
- Add in bread flour and cocoa powder to combine and not too sticky.
- Wrapped this polo topping with a cling wrap and rest for 10 minutes. (I put mine into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After resting, rolled the topping into 25 gm small ball (like pic A #2) (i have a left over of 80 gm topping, i used it on one of my bread loaf)
6) After the first proofing divide into small dough of 60 gm per piece. Rolled round and arrange into a lined and greased baking pan. (for my loaf i divide it into 300 gm each. loaf pan size is 4 x 8 inches and i bake at 180C for 23 minutes.)
Please refer to pic A and pic B to add on the polo topping onto the buns.
7) Let the buns proof for 45 minutes.
8) Perheat oven at 210C top and 180C bottom and bake for 12-15 minutes.
(my oven do not have top and bottom grill. I used 190C and bake for 16 minutes)
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #31: Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)
hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.