I have never post a Japanese dish before in my blog :p Can you imagine that i love Japanese food but never cook them myself. I only make sushi once a while and that all.
Following Wendy's Malaysia Food Fest i learned and shared all Malaysian very authentic food from state to state and again now am following her to Asian Food Fest to learn more from country to country within Asian. This month is food in Japan and the host is Alan from travelling- foodies
没在这上过日本料理的贴子呢!! 我家人爱吃日本料理不过不知道为什么没自己动手准备过, 除了做寿司!! 想想可能是觉得很难...还是买不到日式的素材和酱料还是懒呢.. 哈哈!!
现在也该动手了, 我家宝贝们喜欢炸的日本料理. 随着Wendy的AFF活动 (主持人是Alan, 本月的日本料理) 我才发现其实做日本料理不难.只要找对素材和找对食谱就能做出一道美味的好菜了.
Chicken Katsu, can i say this is a very delicious and easy to prepare dish. The main ingredient is just chicken breast, it is breaded with flour, egg, panko and deep fried, the chicken transform into a crispy, juicy satisfying meal. (I quoted Nami's words :p)
These Chicken Katsu is so tasty and my kids love it.
Crispy outside and moist and juicy inside.
Chicken Katsu (チキンカツ) 日式炸鸡排
recipe source. adapted from Just One Cookbook
3 chicken breast (1.6 lb)
2 Tbsp sake (i use chinese cooking wine)
Freshly ground black pepper
All purpose flour
Panko (i use three pieces of frozen homemade white bread cut away the crust and blend them into crumbs in a processor)
Oil for deep frying
1. Rinse the chicken, pat dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken diagonally. With this cutting technique each piece will have more surface so it will cook faster.
2. Put the chicken in a bowl and add sake, salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Dust the flour on the chicken and remove excess flour. Then dip it in beaten egg.
4.Lastly dredge the chicken in panko and remove the excess. If you have time let the chicken sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. (i have not time, i cook the chicken straight away :p)
5. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a cast iron skillet. (i use a pair of chopstick to test the oil to see if the oil is ready)
6. Put 2-3 pieces at a time. If you put too many chicken pieces, the temperature of the oil will drop too quickly and the chicken will end up absorbing too much oil.
7. Deep fry until both sides are golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack or a lined tray. Between batches, make sure to pick up breadcrumbs. When you don't pick up the breadcrumbs will get burnt and the oil will get darker. Make sure to keep the oil clean throughout deep frying. r
Enjoying this with some tonkatsu sauce.
picture extract from just one cookbook
I can't get this tonkatsu sauce from my place. We would have to travel to Brunei to buy this as the supermarket there sell a lot of foreign country sauces and condiments. I following Nami's Tonkatsu sauce recipe.
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Ketchup
1/2 Tbsp osyter sauce
1 1/8 tsp
Combine the ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk together. Adjust the sauce according to your liking.