This kuih is called 'Apom Kastard' in Malay. Apom means soft and spongy type of cake like pancake and Kastard simply means Custard..LOL or it is also called 'Telinga Lembik' translate as Flabby Ears..i don't know why it ia named this way. Maybe this kuih looks and feel soft like an ear..:p I guess you have seen this kind of kueh and are more familiar to the name 'apam balik' right?? I saw this kuih in Kak Wan while i was browsing around.
Different area have different names for this kuih. Apom Kastard can only be found in Terengganu and Kelantan and not other states. It is also one of the kuih that is almost being forgotten.
~Apom Kastard/Telinga Lembik...小煎饼/软耳朵~
Apom Kastard, 也取名为软耳朵是一种糕点或小松饼. 只有在登嘉楼和吉兰丹才找的到这特别的小松饼. 是一个几乎被人遗忘的糕点. 可能也曾经看过类式的糕点叫Apam balik对吗?
~Apom Kastard in darker color...烤的比较上色的Apom糕~
Yeast and self raising flour is used to make this Apom to have that chewy and soft texture. The mixture is mixed into a pancake like batter, it is smooth. Then it is cooked in a non stick pan into a small round pancake. Add the custard/peanuts filling wrapped and sealed the edges and it ready to serve.
I am submitting this to Malaysia Food Feast, Terengganu Month hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings.
recipe source..食谱来自: citarasawan.blogpot
*I make half of the recipe..我做了半份
1 cup (166g) self raising flour... 自发面粉
30 g sugar... 糖
30g egg... 蛋
1 tsp instant yeast... 酵母
1/2 tsp yellow coloring(optional)... 黄色素(我没加)
3/4 cup fresh milk... 鲜奶(把材料拌匀,浓度像做小松饼的面糊那样也不可太希)
(mixed mixture into pancake like batter, if the mixture is to thick you make add a little more water but not too thin)
1/2 tbsp melted butter... 溶化奶油
1/2 cup flour... 面粉
1/2 tbsp custard powder... 卡士达粉
30g sugar... 糖
3/4 cup water... 水
a little yellow coloring(optional)... 少许黄色素(我没加)
- Beat egg and sugar till fluffy. Stir in milk, water, yeast and melted butter blended well.
- Mixed in flour and blend until smooth. Set aside to proof for 1-2 hours or until it is frothy(the longer the better)..please refer picture 1(i prepare this at night and let it sit in the refrigerator over night and make this for breakfast in the morning)
- Pour 1 tbsp batter then spread evenly on a non stick pan without oil. cook on low heat. Cover the pan with a lid. This will cooked quite fast so please take care don't burn it. You may flip a small corner of the apom to check on it.
- When its cooked, remove, put a spoonful of custard onto the middle of the apom and fold up semi circle and sealed the edges. It is ready to serve.
To do for the filling:
- Combine all the ingredients, mixed well and strain.
- Cook over medium heat, stir constantly until it is thick and glossy.
- Cover with cling wrap, set aside for later use.
~The custard filling is not the creamy type. It is more floury and starchy taste but its not bad..nice for me!..but my boys prefer just to spread peanut butter on it..LOL
~Crush Peanut and sugar filling ...香香的花生脆馅..^^