~Puteri Santubong layer cake...
Guess what cake I bake for her???
A Prunes lapis cake...I like this cake because of the taste of rich buttery scented, the texture is fine and moist. The prune in the cake gives the cake a hint of sourness and that make it so tasty. Furthermore the colour and pattern of this makes you feel so happy....hahaha so "hard sell"... Although this cake is grilled layer by layer it is still moist, soft and nice.
~The little black dots on the cake is prunes...
10 egg yolks
6 egg whites
8 ozs castor sugar
7 ozs Hong Kong flour
2 tbsp ovalette
2 ozs cold water
1 tsp vanilla essence ( I did not add this)
15 ozs butter
4 tbsp condensed milk
some pitted prune ~ slice into strips
some red and green edible colouring
1 8"x8"x3" square baking tray, lined with grease proof paper
1) Beat (A) till light and fluffy.
2) In another mixing bowl beat (B) till creamy and pale.
3) Blend (A) and (B) together, mixed well.
4) Divide batter into 2 parts.
Part 1 - divide into 2 portions .. Portion 1 add pink coloring and portion 2 add green coloring, fill the mixture individually in pipping bags.
5) Preheated oven with upper and lower heater for 5 minutes.
6) Spoon 5 tbsp of plain mixture into prepared baking tray and spread evenly. Put into oven, use only top heater (top grill) for 5 minutes or until it is brown n cooked. Repeat this step for 5 layers. You may still have extra left for later use.
~Arrange prune strips on the plain layer...
~After grilled layer..it is brown...
~ Pipe the pink mixture on the grilled layer...
~Again pipe the green mixture in between the pink strips..
~This is the grilled duo colour layer...
9) Let the cake cool before cutting. **Cut the cake in this directions to achieve the clean and black dotted look for the prunes.
~When you cut, do follow the arrow direction. Why?? You see if your prunes is vertically then you have to cut follow horizontally or the opposite way. With way of slicing the cake you will get a clean and nice look piece of cake...(pic below)...
~The prunes look nice and neat...
^^ Do use a fork to pierce the air bubbles if there is any after grilled.
^^ Do lightly press on every layer to achieve a compact layer cake.
^^ This is the tools that I used to press my cake.