This is a cake that i always love to make when the Lunar New Year arrive. My family love it a lot and now whenever i have time i will make it for leisure snacking..hehe It is moist, soft, kind of fudgy texture and full of nescafe (coffee) aroma. I use to make it in 2 natural color (layers) that is original plain and dark coffee color. You can view it here Recently, i saw another Lapis Bumi in a blogger friend blog so i think maybe have a change since the flavor is still the same. Oh yes!! the name of this cake is Lapis Bumi. I have my own favorite one here (Lapis Bumi l) and this one will be my Lapis Bumi ll.... lol
Lapis Bumi ll
Recipe adapted from DayangJack from Dapurku Sayang
Cup: base on a 250ml metric measuring cup
1 cup (135g) all purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup Horlick (i accidentally used Horlicks chocolate*)
5 eggs (grade A - without shell weight about 55g)
225g butter (i used golden churn)
4 tbsp kaya
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup condensed milk
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee powder (nescafe) mix with 1 tsp cocoa powder, dilluted with 1 Tbsp of hot water.
Some green and yellow food colouring
1. Prepared a wok or a steamer, add enough water and heat it up, Lined the bottom of a 7x7 inches square cake tin.
2. Sift all purpose flour and horlick together, set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar till light and pale,
4. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating with low speed. Add in vanilla paste.
5. Beat in Kaya then condensed milk mix well.
6. Add in flour and mixed to combine.
7. Divide batter into 3 portions; mix 1 portion with nescafe mixture, 1 portion with yellow food coloring and 1 portion with green food coloring. (i used natural food coloring from Queen's brand) Then divide each portion into 2 parts into small bowls each. (total of 6 parts; 2 nescafe, 2 yellow and 2 green parts)
8. Pour 1 part of green color batter into cake tin, loosely cover with a piece of aluminium foil and steam for 5 to 8 minutes or until the surface is not sticky when touches it.
9. Follow with the yellow color batter, repeat the same process for steaming. Then follow with the nescafe batter. Repeat the same from green batter to yellow batter then final layer is the nescafe batter.
11. Cool the cake before slicing.
I'm submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone March 2015 Event Theme: My Favourite Traditional Kueh organized by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom and co-hosted by Joceline - Butter, Flour & Me.