I am really curious how would this hot-milk cake turn out if i were to bake it. I found it is interesting to add hot-milk into the batter. Want to know how does it taste, i have to bake this myself. I bake this cake at night. Why? because it is a school day, I have to put my kids to bed before i start. No regret baking this hot-milk cake, my kids and hubby like it. We enjoy having it with the strawberry and cream!!
My hot-milk cake turn out to be a little to the dense side but it is soft with fine texture. Topping with the cream and strawberries it is simply delicious!!
I bake them in ramekins
Sliced the cake into 2 layers.
(I followed recipe adapted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours)
Makes 6 ramekin cakes
2 large eggs
1/2 cup plus 4 tbsp caster sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla paste, divided
1 cup plus 2 tbsp self raising flour
2/3 cup fresh milk
5 tbsp unsalted butter
1 pound strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced lengthwise
I/2 cup whipping cream (I used 150 grams)
1 tbsp icing sugar (I used 14 grams)
- Preheat oven to 220C and grease 6 ramekins. Place them on baking sheet
- Beat eggs on high speed until thick for about 3 minutes. Add in sugar (1/2 cup) gradually and beat til pale and yellow about 1 minutes. Beat in vanilla paste (1/2 tsp)
- Add in flour (sifted) and beat for 30secs. Bring milk and butter just to boil in a small pot, stir til butter melts. Beat hot milk mixture into batter and continue to beat for 30 seconds.
- Divide batter mixture into ramekins and bake until firm to touch and pale golden, tops form rounded peaks in the center, about 16 minutes. Cool them in the ramekins for about 20 minutes.
- Toss strawberries and 4 tablespoon sugar, let stand for about 20 minutes
- Beat cream, icing sugar and vanilla paste (1/4tsp) until peaks form.
- Remove cakes from ramekins, cut off the rounded tops and spoon dollop of cream and strawberries onto it. Top on the other half the cake, garnish the top with more cream and strawberries and some of the juice
- Serve immediately
I am linking this post to Bake Along, an event organised by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids