It's July now!! Little Thumb Up event for June have collected 346 posts - HERE. Oh wow!! can you imagine that. Firstly, Zoe and I would like to thank Jozelyn for being such a fabulous host. She was not only visiting the linked posts, she even invite who ever (blogger friends) that she sees they are baking or cooking with butter. A big applause to Jozeyln.
Secondly, we would like to thank all fellow bloggers who support and link with us. (Little Thumbs Up event - June)
This month Little Thumbs Up is having a pretty lady to host for us. She is Jasline from Foodie Baker with her theme 'POTATO'
What are you waiting for, come join the fun and start rolling!!
Zoe and I was having a short chat last month. She was asking me which potato buns do i prefer, Agnes's or Alan. I told her i like Agnes's but i have not try Alan's so i wouldn't be able to give comment. And i asked her, How about you? Which one do you prefer?? She answer, I am going to bake both and see which one i prefer. Do hope over to her blog (HERE) to see which one she prefer.
I have tried baking Agnes's potato buns a few times and my family loves it. Since i have not bake Alan's potato buns, I am going to bake it.
It is soft, fluffy and slight chewy. When you touch and hold it, it s like holding a small pillow :D
Instead of having a custard cross, i piped spinning wheel and a double cross pattern with the custard topping
Which one do you like?
This is the double cross custard topping,
All are nice and beautifully and it is ready to go into the oven BUT wait,,,,
there is still a little touch up need to add on...
Piped the homemade custard onto the potato buns
I had a big challenge when using the premix custard powder. I follow exactly the recipe the amount of ingredients needed for the custard topping but it doesn't work as it should be.
The mixture is watery and it definitely can't be piped.
I had to use another source of custard so i use the homemade custard instead. (will share in my later post on the homemade custard which i also use the custard to make a super soft bread0
Going into the oven now for 26 minutes. Its DONE
These buns are soft and nice to eat it on its own or with a light spread of homemade kaya.(which i will share later :p)
recipe adapted from the book of 'In Love with Bread' by Alan Ooi
400g high protein flour/bread flour
50g caster sugar
35g milk powder
6g / 2 tsp instant yeast
190ml cold water
1 egg (grade A - about 60g with shell)
90g potato (steamed and mashed)
60g margarine (i use butter)
150g black raisin ( i omit this)
Custard Topping (i used homemade custard)
- Mixed ingredients (A) until well combined. Add ingredients B and mix until dough forms.
- Add ingredients (C) mix until the dough is shinny and elastic. Add ingredients D and mix well. Cover the dough and let it rise in a worm place for 50 minutes or until it is double in size. (I use bread maker to do the mixing and kneading. Add the liquid ingredients into the bread pan follow with the dry ingredients. Use 'dough mode' for the mixing and kneading. My bread maker machine mix, knead and do the first proofing.)
- POuch the dough down to expel some air. Divide the dough into 14 portions of 70 g each. Roll into balls and rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape into balls again and arrange into a greased tray.Let it rise for 50 minutes or double the size. (i did not egg wash mine, just want that matte look :D)
- Egg wash and piped custard over the buns. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20 to 25 minutes or till golden brown.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (July 2014, Potato organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and me, my little favourite DIY, hosted by Jasline from Foodie Baker Please link your post HERE!!
Little Thumbs Up (July)
Theme - POTATO
Please join us!! To join, simply cook or bake any recipe with the theme of the month which is POTATO for July 2014 and link with us at this post anytime until 31th July 2014 .
Felt free to display Little Thumb Up badge! Do make sure your post must be a current post peferably within this month. Please also mention Little Thumbs Up in your post and link back to Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY or/and Jasline from Foodie Baker For more detail, please see this
请用上'小拇子的标签！切记您的贴子必需是本月的新作品噢！也请把您的贴link回到Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY 和 Jasline from Foodie Baker.
Let's cook and bake and have fun together in this event. Everybody put your thumbs up ^_^
I am also linking this to 'Cook-Your-Book #14' host by Joyce from Kitchen flavour.