Good Tuesday to everyone!
How's your weekends going? I hope everyone had a great time.
大家周二好!! 时间过的好快. 七月来到了最后一天了!!
This is what I cook for our weekend dinner last week. It's claypot chicken rice but it is another version. When i saw Phong Hong's and Esther's post their clay pot chicken rice, I too am interested to give it a go BUT I don't have a clay pot :(
When I saw this recipe from one of the cook book, saying "Traditionally this dish is cooked and serve in a claypot. If you do not have a claypot, cooking the dish in a saucepan or rice cooker will produce similar result"
Oh wow! No claypot also can cook up this dish. I decide to use my electronic pressure cooker to cook a cheat claypot chicken rice.. lol
I use chicken cutlet, about 350g (a mixed of tight, drumstick and some breast meat) chopped into bite-size chunks. Marinade with fresh ginger juice (scrub of the ginger skin, grated and squeeze out the juice), soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, salt and pepper for about 20 to 30 minutes. Wash the rice thoroughly and drain. Pour rice and water into pressure cooker inner pot, use high pressure and cook for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes release pressure at once. (Do be careful as the steam release from the pressure cooker is very very hot)
1- marinated chicken
2- arrange marinated chicken and chinese sausage on top of the cooked rice. Sprinkle 5 tbsp of water onto the rice. Cover and cook for another 7 minutes.
3- After 7 minutes of pressure cooking, chicken is cooked.
4- Puff/ flake up the rice and lightly stir to combine everything on top together.
Lazy me...i zap my shallots in mircowave to get the fried shallots :p
This is the pressure cooker version claypot chicken rice.
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and me, my little favourite DIY , hosted by Alvin from Chef and Sommelier, at this post.
The Little Thumbs Up event starts on first Tuesday of the month until the last day of the month. Please join us! To join, simply cook or bake any recipe with the theme of the month which is GINGER for July 2013 and link with us at this post anytime until 31th July 2013. Don't forget your thumbs up or display this badge! And please make sure that:
(1) Your post must be a current post preferably within July 2013 .
(2) Please mention Little Thumbs Up in your post and link back to Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY or/and Alvin from Chef and Sommelier. For more details, please see this.
What after July 2013? Yen from Eat your heart out will be the next host of AUGUST 2013 and her theme is EGG! Only for Yen's event, she is starting hers on 1st August 2013 so that we can link with her 6 days earlier - Please note!
All the upcoming ingredient themes and hosts for the forthcoming months are listed at "Little Thumbs Up" side bar of my blog and hope that you can join in the fun of this event.
参与的方法非常简单，您只需烹饪或烘焙一道当月主持人的主题材料就可以了. 7月的主持是Chef and Sommelier 的Alvin和他的主材'姜'. 请把恁的贴子联线到这里的贴子上
1. 您的贴子必需是最近的作品噢! 比如是2月或3月的.
Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) 和 我 (my little favourite DIY)/ 和Chef of Sommelier
接下来的八月是Yen (Eat Your Heart Out)主持, 活动的主题是'蛋'
这八月蛮特别, Yen 要本月(8月)的活动从8月1号驱动. 好让人人有提早6天的参与活动. 欢迎大家热烈参与!! 接下来的'小拇子说好' 的活动流程大家可以在mui的部落格的右手边预告将可看到.
This post is also also linked to Cook-Your-Books #2 organised by my friend, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours.
Now lets look at the recipe of this claypot chicken rice..:D
Claypot chicken rice
recipe source: Book of Malaysia Hawker's favourites by Rohani Jelani
(i make some modification in purple)
500g chicken, skinned and cut into bite-sized chunks (i use 350g chicken cutlets (a mixed of tight, drumstick and breast)
3 cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated. Add in 1 tbsp water and squeeze out/extract the juice and discard the pulp
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp black soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp salt (i use 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp ground black or white pepper
1 tbsp sugar
400g (2 cups) raw long-grain rice ( i used 250 g basmati rice)
560ml (21/4) cups water (i use 300ml water)
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 tbsp crispy fried shallots (i zap, 3 peeled and slice shallots in the mircowave to fried them, please refer to pic b)
1 spring onion, thinly slice
1 spring coriander leaves chopped (optional)
seasoned sliced chillies
- Wash and pat dry the chicken. Combine the ginger juice, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, salt, pepper and sugar and rub into the chicken. Set aside for 20-30 minutes to marinate.
- Wash rice thoroughly and drain. Place the rice and water in a claypot and bring to boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Place the marinated chicken on top of the rice and pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook on low heat undistributed, for 20 minutes.
- Flake the rice with a fork, cover and allow the rice to cook for another 15 minutes. Garnish with the crispy shallots, spring onion and coriander leaves and serve with a small bowl of **seasoned slice chillies on the side.
10-15 chili padi, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
Combine the chilies, soy sauce and lime juice in a small bowl and serve.
- Wash rice thoroughly and drain. Add rice and water into pressure cooker inner pot and cover and locked the steam valve. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, release the steam pressure immediately.Add marinated chicken pieces on top of cooked rice. Sprinkle 5 tbsp of water on rice. Cover and locked the steamed valve. Again cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes let the steam pressure in the cooker sit in for another 2 minutes.
- Release steam pressure (Do be careful as the steam are very HOT)
- Flakes up the rice and combine everything together. Please refer to pic a.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!!