This is a favourite of mine since i was a kid. Whenever mum is selling her kueh in the wet market i will hop over to this 'Ah Yee' (auntie) who sell this Hee Ban and bought a piece from her and it is only 20 cents a piece . Hahaha!! at that time in the wet market different kueh store sells different kind of kueh. I think that is good idea because there is no competition ^_^ They help each other to market each others products (kueh/cake).
这是个非常好吃的糕...^_^ ...客家人叫这糕..喜粄. 客家话'Hee 是喜就是喜庆, 'Ban是糕就是糕的意思. 吃了这糕肯定很喜庆..哈哈. 喜粄的口感柔软带Q, 味道是米的香气. 小时常常陪妈妈去菜市, 那里有个阿姨有卖喜粄, 是传统的那种白白色的.
This is the old time favourite Hee Ban (See Pan) a type of sweet nyonya kueh.
The texture is soft and chewy. Full of rice aroma..:D
Recently this Hee Ban is every where in the blogging atmosphere of the chinese bloggers.
You can see lots of different flavour Hee Ban in QiQi in the house's blog. She have the plain, the pink, the pandan flavour and the pumpkin flavour too. She is very creative and her pictures are so cool (^_^*)
最近她(喜粄)在部落格很红哦! 在很格友的家都看到有不同口味, 如南瓜, 班兰, 紫薯, 等等等...的呢! 上次我在QiQi家看了她的粉红色的喜粄就'手养'把食谱带回家学做了 ^-^
I like the thick and chewy texture of this kueh so i make mine a bit round and thick. As you can see above the ones sell in the market are flat and thin.
Mine is made more like a mantou instead of kueh because i shaped it into a small round ball.
Recipe source: Adapted from QiQi in the House
for chinese recipe please go to QiQi.
yields: about 9-10 pcs
Ingredients for dough starter:
40ml water (i used 50ml)
1/2 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tbsp castor sugar
50g plain flour
- Mix sugar and yeast in water till it is well dissolved.
- Stir in flour to form a sticky dough.
- Cover with cling foil and let in fermented for 2 hours.
Ingredients for Main Dough:
1 portion of the starter dough
60g castor sugar (i used 50g)
60ml water (i used 70ml)
1 tbsp oil
50g plain flour
90g glutinous rice flour
- Mix castor sugar and oil in water till well combine.
- Add in starter dough, plain flour and glutinous flour. Knead and mix into a smooth dough. (This will be quite sticky. Just oil your hand with some cooking oil to get it going) **I added all of these ingredients into my bread maker to do the mixing and kneading for me. I used mixing mode, it takes about 10 -12 minutes. Check once after 5 minutes to see if any of flour sticky to the side of the pan, scrape down. Fuss free and no sticky hand. The sticky hands you seen in the above picture is my first attempt of making this Hee Ban.
- When it in full incorporated. Divide the dough into small ball of 45-50gms each.
- Place on parchment paper or greased with oil banana leaves.
- Proof for 1/2 an hour and steam over rolling boiled water for 10 minutes.
Hope you will ENJOY this simple and nice kueh like me (^_^)
My youngest is trying somehting funny while i am taking pictures ... Guess what he is up to!!!小宝贝的淘汽行为..看看他在做什么??
Youngest: Mum, this is so nice to touch. Smooth!!!
Mum: Yes, please don't touch!
小宝贝: 妈妈, 好好摸哦!
Youngest: I am not touching. I just want to taste your kueh !!
Mum: No now. Let me finish first...
小宝贝: 我没kacau. 我吃下看看好吃吗..而已!! (小小只有4岁会用'而已')
Youngest: Have to peel off this paper first before eating right??
Mum: ..... (speechless!!!)