Tang Yuan (glutinous rice balls) is a traditional Chinese Dessert. It is a desert that is well loved by all generations. The original ones are plain tang yuan in clear sugar syrup. Ginger and pandan leaves are added for more flavor.
Today more and more varieties of tang yuan are made to suit individual taste. This is one of the varieties that i found in a book to share here.
'Pumpkin Soup with Glutinous Rice Balls'
~Chewy glutinous rice balls in milky pumpkin soup~
~Tang Yuan (glutinous rice balls) are filled with peanut butter and coconut sugar~
~Sago in this dessert added an extra texture to the taste~
~slice and cut pumpkin in pieces~
~steamed until it is cooked~
~these looks like fish ball ...right? hehehe They are tang yuan~
~Scald the tang yuan (glutinous rice ball) in boiling water and soak into cold water..this is to make the tang yuan more chewy~
~this is slices of coconut sugar from Kelantan...Thanks to Angela a dear friend i knew from fb sent to me..
~this is the ones that i bought from locally..they look different in shape and they taste a bit different too~
Recipe source: Heart Aflutter with Dessert~南瓜珍珠露
a book by Chin Mun Chong
Ingredient for glutinous ball:
250g glutinous flour
Ingredient for filling:
130g cooked wheat flour
75g castor sugar
100g peanut butter
100g vegetable oil (i used 40g only)
adequate of sugar
200ml fresh milk
2 tbsp of evaporated milk (i added 4 tbsp)
(i added 2 tbsp crushed coconut sugar)
1) Mix glutinous flour with water to form into a dough. (if you find the dough a bit dry with 160ml do add a little more to have a smooth and pliable dough) Divide into 20g each balls.
2) Bake wheat flour in oven for 5-10 minutes. Set aside to cool then mix with the rest of the ingredients into a paste. (keep in fridge for 15 minutes to get a firm filling for easy wrapping)
3) Steam pumpkin till cooked. (I steam for about 20 minutes) Add water and blend till fine. ( I mashed my steamed pumpkin)
4) Scald the sago in boiling water until transparent. Remove and soak into cold water. Set aside.
5) Wrapped fillings into divided glutinous rice balls dough. Scald in boiling water until the glutinous rice balls floats up. Remove and soak into cold water. Set aside.
6) to do the soup base:
Add mashed pumpkin into 600ml water, adding the rest of the soup base ingredients together in a pot. Bring to a boil.
7) Add in cooked rice balls and cooked sago into the soup and serve warm or cold by adding ice cubes.
**Tips for cooking sago:
1) Soak sago in water for 10 minutes.
2) In a pot of boiling water, pour in soaked sago. Reboil and let sago soak in for 15-20 minutes. (off the stove)
3) When sago turns transparent, take out and soak in cold water.
~the taste of this pumpkin soup base is really tasty~
~the rice ball gives a chewy (QQ) texture, which is very nice~
~the aroma of the peanut butter and the caramel taste of coconut sugar~
I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #20: Asian Dessert Buffet!
**I actually would like to post my homemade vanilla ice cream recipe (which i have promise in my previous post) before posting this but I wanted to beat the date line..:p to submit my dessert to Aspiring Bakers #20. Do come back for my next post my homemade vanilla ice cream recipe..:D