Orange Custard CheesecakE
Ingredient for filling:
500g cream cheese, diced
140g castor sugar
2 oranges grated zest
500ml whipping cream
5 eggs + 2 yolks beaten
Ingredient for the base:
100g plain flour, sieved
1/4 tsp grounded cinnamon
60g cold butter, chopped + 30g extra
1 tbsp cold milk
30g brown sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp plain flour, sieved
60g almond flakes, toasted
80g castor sugar
200ml orange juice, strained
1 orange zest, slice strips
1 tbsp lemon juice, strained
60ml orange liqueur (eg.grand marnier or cointreau)
canned orange segments or fresh oranges
OR you can use what I tried that is Caramelised Oranges
3 oranges peel and cut horizontally into 1/2cm thick slices
250g castor sugar
2 pcs cardamon pods, crushed
~this is the peel and slice oranges~
~this is to make caramel..slowly bring to boil until it tur to amber colour~
**To do this caramelised oranges:
1) Using a sharp knife cut of the top and the bottom of the oranges, and then slice off the skin vertically turning the orange as you go, being careful to keep as much flesh as possible but removing the pith.
2) Slice each orange into 5mm rounds, trying to reserve as much juice as you can. Just plonk the slices, pouring the juices, into a bowl as you cut them.
3) To make the caramel, put the sugar, water and cardamom pods into a large saucepan and swirl(not stir) a little to dissolve the sugar. Then slowly bring to the boil without stiring, until syrup becomes a dark amber colour.
4) Take the saucepan off the heat and tip in the oranges and any juice that have collected in the bowl. Quickly coat the orange slices in the caramel and pour on to a flat plate; act with speed otherwise the caramel will set before you can get it out of the saucepan.
5) Let the oranges cool, and then arrange them on top of the cake and chilled in refrigerator overnight.
**This recipe (Caramelised Oranges) is from FOREVER SUMMER By Nigella Lawson.
If you are using this topping you may skip the last step "to do the topping"
To do filling:
1) Preheat oven at 160c. Grease a deep 20cm round cak pan.
2) Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and orange zest, beat until smooth. Add cream and blend until mixture thickens. Slowly pour in eggs and combine. Pour filling into pan. Place pan in water bath. Bake for 45 minutes.
~The filling after water bath baking for 45 minutes~
To do base:
1) Mix flour, ground cinnamon and butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in icing sugar. Add mix and mix to fottrm soft dough. Lightly knead to a smooth dough. Roll dough into a cylinder. Wrap in cling film and freezer until firm. Remove from freezer a few minutes before grating.
2) Melt extra butter , brown sugar and syrup in a pan over low heat. Stir until combined. Stir in flour and almond flakess. Leave to cool. Grate half the dough on almond mixture . Mix well. Set aside.
~this is the base ingredients after freezing until firm and grated into fine crumbs and mixed with toasted almond flakes~
~the above base is ready to spread over this ready baked cheesecake~
~this is the look of the base crumbs after apply on the cheesecake, will have to bake again for another 20minutes~
~after baking for 20 minutes~
3)When filling is done, remove from oven. Spread almond mixture on baked filling. Grate remaining dough evenly over almond mixture.
4) Increase oven temperature to 180c and bake for 20 minutes more or until base is crispy and golden. Remove from oven and cool. Cover cake pan. Refrigerate overnight. Invert cake onto a serving plate and garnish the cake as desired.
~this is the cheesecake after invert into the cake plate~
To do topping:
Boil sugar , orange juice and zest, and lemon juice, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Stir in orange liqueur. Remove from heat. Leave to cool. Arrange orange segments on cake, then pour syrup over just before serving.
**I find this cake really citrusy..that is the caramelise orange on top, smooth creamy custard cheese texture and the base is lovely with the smell of cinnamon mix with the crunchy bite of almond flakes.